Austin Brain Injury Attorney
approximately 144,000 Texans sustain a traumatic brain injury ( TBI ) each year, that is one person every 4 minutes, according to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. A TBI is one of most severe injuries to happen to a person after a car accident, creating possible lifelong disabilities. If you or a love one has suffered a TBI in a car accident, you need the help of an feel Austin mind injury lawyer at the Bonilla Law Firm PLLC, to protect your interests and ensure that you are compensated by those who harmed you or were negligent. Contact our personal injury lawyers for a dislodge encase evaluation.
Austin Brain Injury Lawyer Resources
Why Our Firm?
- Our Austin personal injury attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation and diligently work on your case until the end
- We form long-term relationships with our clients and colleagues by being trustworthy, transparent and fair
- With over 30 years of experience, our well-informed attorneys strategically and efficiently help achieve the goals of our clients
- We handle all traumatic brain injury cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning we never charge a fee unless we recover money on your behalf
How Long Do I Have to File a Traumatic Brain Injury Claim in Texas?
In the state of Texas, there is a time terminus ad quem on how long accident victims has to file suit for damages in a personal wound casing. In the Lone Star State, the prison term limit, better known as the legislative act of limitations, is two years from the date of the accident. This means that many victims have a maximum of two years to file lawsuit against the defending party. If a victim of a traumatic genius injury waits besides long to file suit for their personal wound, the hurt party risks missing the window for pursuing damages for their sheath. It is best to file a case arsenic soon as potential after the injury has occurred. By filing soon after the injury in question, the event is fresh in the victim ’ mho mind. These events can frequently leave victims with a post traumatic stress reaction and can lead to details being forgotten or lost over the course of time.
Impact of a TBI
No two brain injuries are alike and the shock a TBI has is unique to each encase. The head injuries and concussions caused from an Austin cable car accident may or not be different from a dislocate and fall injury. The medical concern and medical care required varies from one case to the future. One might experience deterioration in some or all of the follow areas at varying degrees : Physical impairments :
- Issues with walking
- Motor weakness or paralysis
- Loss of coordination
- Poor balance
- Chronic pain
- Chronic Headaches
- Mental or physical fatigue
- Loss of sensation
- Difficulty swallowing
- Unclear speech and inability to speak words
Cognitive/Communication Impairments :
- Disoriented to time, place or situation
- Difficulty processing information
- Shortened attention span
- Difficulty concentrating
- Impaired decision making and problem-solving abilities
- Difficulty understanding abstract concepts or following directions with multiple steps
- Memory loss
- Understanding others
- Difficulty or inability to express thoughts
- Mood swings
- Personality changes
Perceptual Impairments :
- Change in any of the senses, but most likely vision
- Taste or smell disorders
Behavioral/Emotional Impairments :
- Flattened/heightened emotional response
- Lack of initiative
- Denial of impairments
- Reduced tolerance for stress
- Loss of impulse control
- Inappropriate sexual behavior
Some symptoms occur immediately following a traumatic brain injury, and some may even develop years late. Living with this kind of traumatic head injury not only impacts you physically but in your personal biography ampere good. It can cause try on relationships with kin and friends, specially if you require a caretaker, not to mention the fiscal stress from mounting medical costs.
What Accidents Commonly Cause Traumatic Brain Injuries?
traumatic brain injuries can occur from several different activities and accidents. From sports injuries, to car accidents, hitting your forefront with enough external violence can cause a TBI. In cases of traumatic brain injuries, several unlike activities can cause a traumatic brain wound. According to the CDC, some of the most common causes of brain injuries in 2014 are :
- Slip and fall accidents
- Struck by or against an object
- Motor vehicle accidents
Individuals that are at a higher hazard of traumatic mind injuries are those under the age of four years old and over the ages of sixty-five years old. If you or a kin extremity have been impacted as a consequence of a traumatic brain injury, it is imperative mood to make a visit to your doctors function or emergency department. Brain injuries can have drastic short and, in some cases, consequence in permanent wave genius damage with wide ranging symptoms. Have a aesculapian doctor diagnose the injuries that have occurred. even “ minor ” traumatic genius injuries can cause symptoms that last for months.
Are There Different Types of Brain Injuries?
traumatic brain injuries are relatively common, and many will experience some kind of meek brain injury. According to the CDC in 2014, there were approximately 2.87 million traumatic brain injuries that required hand brake departments hospitalizations or deaths. not all brain injuries have similar symptoms or short-run or long-run effects. however, all mind injuries and blows to the head should be examined and taken badly. even mild traumatic brain injuries can cause symptoms and pause of otherwise normal senses. According to the Mayo Clinic even a mild injury can require prompt medical care to diagnose the injury suffered.
What Are Symptoms of Mild Brain Injuries?
even though these symptoms are classified as “ mild ”, evening injuries considered “ mild ” can accumulate to more severe symptoms over fourth dimension. Some of the most coarse symptoms of mild TBI injuries include :
- abruptly periods of loss of consciousness
- Nausea & vomit
- Disruptions in sleep cycle ( sleeping excessively much/ sleeping besides fiddling )
- difficulty balancing
- affect to speech
- Blurred vision
- memory and/or concentration problems
- Mood swings or changes in mood
What Are Symptoms of Moderate Brain Injuries?
Moderate TBI symptoms can occur within a couple of hours of the injury, or can take a few days before the symptoms are visible. Some of the physical symptoms of centrist brain injuries include :
- Loss of consciousness for a few minutes to hours
- serious headache that worsens over time
- unable to wake from sleep
- Convulsions and/or seizures
Read more: Features of a Wireless Ethernet Adapter
- ocular dilation
- Transparent fluent draining from ears or nose
- Loss of sensation in digits
- coordination problems
- serious confusion
What Are Symptoms of Serious Brain Injuries?
Victims that sustain good brain injuries can suffer from life-long symptoms that shock movement and cognitive functions. Some common symptoms associated with severe TBI include :
- vegetative state
- Brain Death
Since every traumatic brain injury is alone to several variables including numerous components pertaining to the victim of the wound including historic period, sex, former concussions and genetics.
What Are Long-Term Injuries From Traumatic Brain Injuries?
After an injury to the mind occurs, there are sealed life-long injuries that a TBI victim may experience. When brain injuries go untreated, or are more severe in nature, checkup problems can exist for the duration of the injure victim ’ second life. medical issues from these types of injuries can vary from one TBI injury to the adjacent. however, some of the most common long persistent injuries can include :
- Cognitive Problems – Individuals that have suffered severe brain injuries may face serious cognitive issues over the duration of their life. Cognitive problems can impact those affected by a TBI. Lapses in memory, learning difficulties, problems with judgement and reasoning and concentration can impact an injured victim.
- Executive Functioning Problems – Functioning problems can affect victims of a TBI. From executing one’s goals on a given day, difficulties with organization, planning, starting tasks and problem solving.
- Communication Problems – In the 21st century, there are numerous platforms to communicate with someone. Whatever the means of communication, those impacted by a traumatic brain injury may have difficulties with verbal or written communication. The inability to organize, can impact written and oral communication for injured victims and their loved ones.
- Changes in Behavior & Emotions – Those that have been victimized by a TBI may experience mood swings and behavior changes that were atypical prior to the injury. Some of the emotions and behaviors can include difficulty in self control, engaging in risky behavior, lack of social awareness and outbursts. Additional emotional tolls can include anxiety, depression and mood swings.
Can Traumatic Brain Injury Victims Recover?
While some meek traumatic genius injury victims can make full recoveries from their injuries, early victims of more unplayful traumatic brain injuries may unfortunately not be as lucky. due to the badness of a traumatic brain wound, some victims may deal with life-long cognitive, communication and in some cases mobility issues. Since each traumatic brain injury is singular, some may recover while early victims can have life-long injuries.
What Damages Can Be Recovered From Traumatic Brain Injuries?
due to the asperity of traumatic brain injuries, there are multiple types of damages that can be recovered from a TBI wound. recoverable damages for a victim and a victim ’ s class includes :
One of the most normally recover damages in a personal wound case includes damages for physical annoyance. Victims diagnosed with traumatic genius injuries can suffer short and long-run afflictive symptoms of the injuries.
emotional damages are intended to compensate an hurt victim for the psychological and aroused distress sustained during the accident. Examples of emotional trouble that can be considered for damages include fear and anxiety of certain activities, anxiety and change in sleep patterns.
The United States has the most expensive healthcare arrangement on the planet. evening with healthcare coverage, victims of traumatic brain injuries can be burdened with high aesculapian bills resulting from an accident. These aesculapian bills can result in huge fiscal obligations for injured individuals. checkup expenses can be included as damages in a civil case to help victims offset the medical bills resulting from a traumatic genius injury.
Loss of Consortium
In personal injury cases, the loss of consortium results from damages typically awarded for the losses of a spouse. The loss of consortium damages help offset the loss of company and the inability to maintain a sexual relationship between spouses. In certain cases, these damages can be awarded directly to a syndicate member rather of the traumatic genius injury victim.
Loss of Earning Capacity
The inability to return to work can badly hinder the fiscal wellbeing for an individual and their family. In the event that an hurt victim is unable to return to work and suffers a loss of earning capacity, the loss of earning capacitance can help off-set the future of earning capacity of a victim.
Why You Need a Brain Injury Attorney
If your genius injury is a result of another person ’ mho negligence, the serve of a skilled genius injury lawyer can help obtain recompense for your losses. Our legal team is intimate about how to investigate your case in order to pursue a strategy that results in a full and clean fiscal recovery. Types of compensation you may seek can include :
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income — including past and future, as well as diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium or loss of companionship
In some brain injury cases, punitive damages may be sought a well. These damages are aimed to punish the at-fault party if they were specially heedless or for their willful misbehave. Our traumatic mind injury attorneys help navigate the legal options and offer a pathway to recouping damages. We examine aesculapian records and medical treatments of the hurt person, file the necessary wallpaper sour, negotiate with applicable policy companies and equate with the responsible party, or parties, to help victims of traumatic mind injuries recover what is required to help restore what was lost in the accident. The personal, familial and fiscal consequences of a traumatic brain injury can be astounding. Some victims of traumatic brain injuries require care takers or are in a vegetative state the rest of their lives. In these instances, the medical bills and cost to assist the injure party can be crippling to a family that has suffered this type of injury. The have Austin traumatic brain wound lawyers at Bonilla Law Firm PLLC will act as an advocate on behalf of your family and crusade for the compensation required to help your circumstances. Our Austin brain injury lawyers understand the seriousness of a TBI, along with the fiscal burdens and loss of consortium that come from checkup bills and being unable to work. Our finish is to ease those burdens by advocating for traumatic mind injury victims in Austin, Travis County and anywhere in Texas, in order to obtain the compensation victims and their families are justified to, to help move fore with their lives. For a rid consultation to discuss legal advice and matters of you or a love one ’ south case, reach out to us via our liaison shape or call us at ( 512 ) 441-1111.
Read more: Features of a Wireless Ethernet Adapter